Monday, May 07, 2007

We, the Bathroom Singers...

Bathroom singers - a very interesting species, to say the least. I pride myself on being one(trust me, I and my room mate actually got scolded for incessant singing in the bathroom when we were in the first semester). There are certain peculiar characteristics of us -the lot. Once inside the bathroom, and our voice becoming the sole identity for the rest of the world, our talent blooms and of course then, there's no stopping us...Before I continue, let me tell ya all what prompted me to start writing on this very enthusiastic class of singers. Well, while I was having my bath this morning, I was really made to suffer by two of my very enthusiastic fellow beings. They picked up one song after another and did not stop until I was done with my bath which was like for half n hr...Neways the point is not that the singers in question made a very genuine and sincere effort to deafen me. The point is the complete ignorance on our part of the extreme pleasure(read:nuisance) that we tend to provide to the listeners, while we sing. The irony is, the moment we stop singing, and someone other than us starts doing so, we start scrutinizing the notes and the everything of the song being sung. One of my friends tried to explain this to me scientifically saying that we actually never get to know our own real voice until we record it and hear it. It's very true. But I think the various traits of a bathroom singer cannot be explained thus.Whatever it is, I would have loved to record the songs that these girls sang this morning and would have loved it even more to make them listen to their songs sometime...And the funniest part was, after every song that they sang, they used to applaud each other...at least their singing wasn't enough..Phew...


PS: At this point, I must confess one thing. It was in the first semester. I don't know what got into my head and my roomie's as well. Because we decided to have an antakshri while we had our bath. And believe me , we must have really bugged the others because Shashibala(our BEC TA) actually came out of her room and shouted at us to keep us shut...

1 comment:

Shruti Garg said...

Yar sahi post likha hai bilkul..bathroom singers to humaare wing mein bhi khoob hain..Infact bathroom singing ka chhod, I still remember hum logo ko room mein zor zor se gaane pe kitni baar daant pad chuki hai ! :)